Postpartum Support after a Loss
For many families, the postpartum period is a rite of passage in and of itself. This is especially true for those experiencing the loss of a baby. As postpartum doulas, we are privileged to walk alongside you during your postpartum journey, providing practical and emotional support to ease you through this difficult time.
Postpartum doula services can be especially helpful for those with little or no practical or emotional assistance from family or friends. Sometimes people don't know what to say or how to help when a loved one experiences a loss, and often that ends in a feeling of isolation for the parents. A postpartum doula will be there for you no matter what, providing practical and emotional support to facilitate rest and healing during this difficult time.
What does a postpartum doula do?
- Help parents get some sleep by reducing chaos and creating a calmer environment
- Meal preparation
- Provide non-judgmental support and a listening ear
- Encourage parents as they find their footing during this intense period of recovery and healing
- Provide referrals for additional support as needed
What does a postpartum doula shift look like?
First and foremost, our goal is to address your main concerns during each visit, whatever they may be.
We'll spend some time at the beginning of each shift chatting with you about how things are going and answering any questions that may arise. Then, depending on your family's needs, our postpartum doula shifts can include any of the following:
- Education around postpartum healing
- Meal preparation, meal planning, grocery shopping
- Light housework, household organization, laundry
- Helping older siblings adjust
- Pet care (feeding pets, walking dogs, etc.)
- Identifying needs for further support or referrals